Ladybug

Thursday, January 3, 2019

Well, I did say it was never ending...

My last entry was March 2017. Maintenance is boring. It was boring, but life was good. I was working out, eating decently but balancing it all with fun. I was gaining and losing the same 5 pounds but fitting into some clothes that I just never thought I would. It was awesome!

Then the holidays came along and I gained a few pounds, but not a big deal. You always lose them in January, right? Unfortunately, the day after Christmas last year, I went indoor free climbing with my nephew. I got a little cocky and ended up in a controlled fall from about 10-12 feet. It was controlled, but still painful because at the bottom I broke my fibula. Oops.

I couldn't walk at all for months. Add to that, January-July I was working on the biggest work project of my life. So most of 2018 was not great. There were a few good moments, but mostly I'm not sad to see it go. But back to the never ending quest part...

On top of the 4 pounds I gained during the holidays last year, I gained another 18 pounds while getting over the leg break and working 60-80 hours per week. Then during these holidays, I went ahead and gained another 3 pounds because, why not?

So here I am, fully healed, but out of shape and a full 25 pounds heavier than I was one year ago. However, things aren't all bad.
  1. In the olden days, I would have gained over 50 and I'm being conservative. I'm not congratulating myself or anything, but I am recognizing that life is different now.
  2. I'm still in "regular" sizes. They are at the higher end of the spectrum, but I didn't have to modify my shopping to get some "fat" clothes.
  3. I'm truly healed and still quite able to work out.
With that in mind, yesterday I started with Noom. I have no idea really what it is or what it does, but you log your food and exercise and you have a coach that messages with you. I will at least give it a try for the 2 week free trial. I work better when I have someone to check in with. Honestly, that was what this blog was all about. My accountability. I don't know that it will work without people reading it, but I felt like maybe putting my thoughts on "paper" would help me.

My goals are reasonable and this is for the month of January:
  1. No drinking during the week. I'm actually trying not to drink at all, but I'm afraid if I get too strict I won't stay with it, so a hard stop during the week days.
  2. No sugary snacks. Honestly, this one isn't that hard for me. When I'm eating a bunch of sweets, I know I'm off the rails. I'm more of a savory snacker.
  3. No Starbucks during the week. I only drink plain lattes so they aren't too bad to have on the weekend.
  4. Work out at least 4x per week. 2 Orange Theory & 2 Jazzercise is the plan right now. I really want to try yoga again, but it isn't working out at the moment.
  5. Small portions, small portions, small portions. This is really the big one. I don't need a lot to fill me up, but the fat girl in me just keeps eating. If I can conquer this one, I will be golden.
I know I will probably never lose the 50 pounds I want to lose, but I do think 20-30 is possible. I just have to want it more than I want other things. Right now, I'm focusing on January. One step at a time.

Hugs!
Beth Ann

1 comment:

Linda said...

I started Noom too! I'm not sure why - just something to help be accountable. I made a vow to get off the extra 25 - 30 pounds I put on after Ella was born (all stress eating), so sounds like we're in the same place.
It is never ending, but it can be done. :)