Ladybug

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Listen to your body!

I have known for a while that something wasn't right.  I feel like I eat a lot but I still feel hungry...not satisfied.  I just keep wanting to EAT.  However, I've been having a lot of acid reflux and we all know that is the #1 sign of a tight band.  I knew something had to give and I went to the doc yesterday.  It wasn't my favorite (HOT) fill doc on duty but my surgeon, so that would do.  I went through my issues and he looked me in the eye and said, "No restriction with acid reflux means erosion until proven otherwise."  He gave me a look that said "are you sure?" 

I thought about it and I said that I do have restriction.  I can't just eat whatever in unlimited quantities but I feel like I need to eat more than I should.  I do have acid reflux...not everyday, but a lot.  So we did a barium swallow and he said immediately that I'm swollen.  He took out a little bit and put me on a mushy diet for A WEEK.  I said, "a WEEK??"  He said, "well about a week."  Super.  He also ordered an EGD "just in case" and said to come in for a follow up after that.

Point #1:  even though I am out of the free aftercare portion of my self-pay program, this visit cost me nothing.  Maybe it wouldn't anywhere, I don't know.  But I do know that I took up a doctor's time and I was not charged for it.  I like that they care more about making sure you are safe and healthy than making an extra buck.

Point #2:  I think I'm crap at listening to my body.  Before I was out of the lobby, I noticed that some pain I didn't even realize I was having was gone.  By the evening, a sore throat that I think I had just gotten used to was gone.  I think I have a very high tolerance for pain and when something springs up, I just deal with it and move on.  When I was very large, I had all sorts of pains and I just fought through it for the most part.  I need to realize that today, if I have an ache or pain (not related to workout soreness), I really need to pay attention.  If I would have continued to ignore this for long term, it could have had very negative consequences.

Point #3:  I think that I still don't know exactly what hunger feels like.  While I think I have figured out (most of the time) when I feel head hunger, I don't always know what true stomach hunger feels like.  I think that if I legitimately feel something from my stomach, I assume it is hunger.  My friends have always said that I have an iron stomach.  I think that a lot of times, I eat through sickness and pain.  Most people would lose their appetite and quit eating when sick...I do the opposite.  I think that is causing me issues now because when I have stomach pain, it triggers me to eat instead of to stop.  I'm really going to have to focus on this once I start eating again.

Point #4:  Mushy diet for a week sucks, but somehow the doctor telling me to do it as opposed to me just deciding to do it makes it easier.  I didn't even use it as an excuse to skip CrossFit this morning.  Anybody have any good mushy recipes for me to try?  I think someone (Amanda maybe?) that mentioned cottage cheese and refried beans so I got that to try for dinner one day.  I haven't eaten anything solid in 36 hours and I feel so much better it is ridiculous. 

Point #5:  I truly didn't think I was too tight.  BECAUSE I THOUGHT I WAS SO HUNGRY.  But it may turn out that I wasn't hungry and I never would have figured that out on my own.  With this crazy thing, sometimes we have to step back and really look at things from different perspectives.

Crazy!  Anyway, CrossFit was great this morning as always.  We worked on stretching out our shoulders which was a little boring.  But then we worked on Jerks.  That is the 2nd part of the Olympic lift the Clean and Jerk.  I had done Cleans before where you go from the ground to rack position (at your shoulders) and the Jerk finishes the move taking it above your head with a little jump.  My max weight for that was 75# (I actually think I could have gone a little higher if I would have had more time.)  Our WOD: 

4 rounds:
200m run
5 Power Jerks at 65% max weight (so I did 50#)
10 Front Squats (again used the 50#)

I did it in 9:05 which was a little slow.  I think I was doing a sad job of running, but I will blame the lack of food.  :)  At least I went, right?! 

Tomorrow I'm looking forward to Jazzercise!  It seems like forever since I have been.  I need to get my dance on.

Hugs!!

10 comments:

Lap Band Gal said...

Have fun at Jazzercise! :)

Dawnya said...

I'm so glad that you are feeling better. Mushies for a week...it will be a piece of cake for you. LOL

You are a trooper.

BTW...where is the August picture?

Cece said...

I didn't know what 'it' was the first time my stomach actually growled ... then I realized it was 'hunger'. You're a smart cookie ... you'll get it figured out :)

Amy W. said...

I have a recipe for yummy Creamy Chicken Divan soup on my blog, or you can just google it. Loaded mashed taters, maybe with a little greek yogurt, cheese, bacon bits. Um...what else...you could also make the mashed potatoes using cauliflower. Little laughing cow cheese things, peanut butter, pudding with whip cream, ice cream...

crap...this is getting unhealthy.

This is a very good post. I am noticing several of us bandster ignorning warning signs.

~Lisa~ said...

Mushies for a week?? No prob... You've got this one!

I am glad you went to the Docs. I too have a hard time "listening" to what my body has to say.. Thank you for the timely post!

kagead said...

Glad you are working through this! My go-to mushies are:

Refried beans mixed with salsa and a little cheese
Hummos (off the spoon- no chips or pita)
Baba Ganoush (again, off the spoon)
Mashed sweet potatoes (I like them savory, but you can do sweet)
Polenta (although if you make it loose enough for mushies, it is really corn grits!)
Oatmeal
Mashed cauliflower with spicy pasta sauce. I mix in mashed navy beans to get some protein in there.

D

Stephanie M. said...

"Most people would lose their appetite and quit eating when sick...I do the opposite. I think that is causing me issues now because when I have stomach pain, it triggers me to eat instead of to stop." HOLY CRAP. I thought I was the only one. I have vomited exactly twice since I have been an adult - once from the stomach flu and once from being on a SCUBA boat with an ear infection, which was just stupid. I NEVER get stomach sick and can always eat. I have NEVER PB'ed. Pain in my stomach equals hunger in my mind. Always has. I never heard anyone else say that. I will pay closer attention. Thanks for the warning.

Justawallflower said...

Oh my goodness, I do the same thing when I'm sick. I've never found circumstances that cause me to NOT eat. craziness! Well, I hope it turns out to be nothing, and I am happy you are feeling better. Can you tell I'm still playing catch up with blogs? Sorry for all the delayed comments!

Rhonda said...

I'm glad you got it figured out, sugar bean. :)

Cat said...

Please keep us posted about the possible erosion hon. I hope that isn't the case. /fingers crossed