Thursday, January 28, 2016

pH Probe Test

I woke up a little anxious this morning and ready to get the pH probe and the entire day over. I'm still not sure how I feel. I thought my symptoms would be worse without my medication for a couple of days. I don't know if:
  • All my symptoms are actually from my hernia and aren't acid reflux at all.
  • I'm so used to it that it doesn't feel really different.
  • After my band slip, the acid spiked but has now settled a bit.
Regardless, I will know the answer soon enough and I can continue on with whatever will fix me!

I headed to the hospital while it was still dark. The facility is huge so it took me a while to park, get to the building, and get registered. I waited for a bit in the lab lobby, but soon enough someone came to get me. The tech and nurse were both super nice and talked me through the whole thing.

First, they had me blow my nose. Then they shot a syringe of Novocain up one nostril and I sniffed like I was doing a line of coke (I assume.) Then they did the same thing on the other nostril even though the tube would only go in one nostril. It started to burn a bit but nothing too bad. Then they had me gargle a small amount of a foul tasting liquid to numb my throat.

Then it was time for the insertion. The tube is about the size of a piece of spaghetti. The insertion itself was fine until the tube hit the back of my throat. Then they gave me some water to swallow as she continued the insertion. It was uncomfortable, but not nearly as bad as I had imagined.

Once it was done, she taped it to the side of my face. The tube is attached to a monitor that I wear on a strap around my neck. I look ridiculous.

I'm so glad I'm able to work from home!! Just walking to my car then up to my apartment, I got all sorts of stares. Not unkind ones, more sympathetic, but still. They advised me to eat, drink and otherwise live as normal. The only "no"s were medication, gum (or hard candy) and throwing up. There is no  way I'm going to Jazzercise as I had planned, but I MIGHT try and get myself to go on the elliptical or treadmill for a bit this afternoon. We'll see.

They did encourage me to eat food that will promote acid reflux. That feels weird but I get it. I stopped by McDonalds and got a sausage biscuit and coffee. I figured that should do it. When I tried to eat/drink, I realized the tube was in the way, but I was able to fix it.

Eating is a tad uncomfortable. I liken it to a contact lens. The first time you put them in your eyes, they water and feel scratchy. The tube is like that. It makes me want to swallow a lot and it is a tad scratchy, but I'm a tough girl. It will be fine.

When I hiccup, burp, cough or speak loudly, it moves around a bit and I can feel it. I would say bottom line, it is annoying. But blessedly, I can work from home so that's great. I've already had two conference calls and shortly I will have a third.

It will definitely be a day of delivery and hiding out. I look forward to tomorrow!!



Amanda Kiska said...

Hopefully this will give you the answers you need.

Lori said...

Bless you! The things we do in the name of health!?!?! I look forward to reading about the results.