Ladybug

Thursday, February 11, 2016

Second Opinion

I don't even know where to begin. When last I left you, I was beyond frustrated about my gastro-problems and pending surgery issues. But also, I was starting to lose my emotion about the situation which was good. I realized that something wasn't adding up. Things just didn't feel right. There were too many obstacles and not enough communication. I decided to seek a second opinion and I'm glad I did.

While I believe that my former doctor wasn't altogether incorrect, I do feel that (a.) all of the risks/rewards or costs/benefits of my options weren't presented to me equitably and (b.) there is something really wonky with their insurance group.

I spoke with several people in the office at length. Again, none of my options are ideal. I can do nothing, revise to sleeve or revise to bypass. I have gotten very different pros/cons from multiple sources. There simply is not enough data to give me a definitive answer on how things will turn out.

I prefer empirical evidence over anecdotal. The internet puts the world at our fingertips and you can find anecdotal evidence for just about every scenario in existence. When I was ready to have my LapBand surgery, I had many, many, many people (both well meaning and not) try and talk me out of it because "a friend of a friend" died from it or whatever. But it was one of the best decisions I ever made. So, this type of evidence can be faulty and shouldn't be relied on entirely. However, yesterday I spoke with someone that had gastric bypass and still has acid reflux. THAT? That would be a nightmare situation for me. The one and only reason I was considering bypass was to eliminate acid reflux. While it COULD do that, there is a chance (albeit half that of sleeve) that I could still have it. I realize that this is me using anecdotal evidence over empirical when I just said I don't. And I'm not saying that it drove my decision 100%, but also I can't say that it wasn't a powerful piece of information.

There is a lot of info out there associating the sleeve with GERD and that scares me. But it also seems to indicate if you fix a hernia at the same time, that could help. There are a few small studies and they conflict a lot. What is clear is that GERD is highly present in people who seek weight loss surgery. So, it seems possible that more people suffer from it after. Honestly, I think I'm just going to have to take a leap of faith one way or the other.

I'm going to choose the less invasive route and hope that fixing the hernia and proper diet and exercise will do the trick. If it doesn't, I'm not too much worse off than I am now. Just out the $$ and I will have a smaller stomach.

If I choose the bypass route and it doesn't work? I'm not sure where I would go from there. I know that a lot of you might have already come to that conclusion, but under my current circumstances...it took me a while.

At this point, I'm letting go. God/fate/karma put a lot of obstacles in my path to get me away from one doctor and put me in the hands of another. I can't say that I KNOW I'm making the best decision for myself, but with the information I have, I believe that it is the right decision.



It will still be a few weeks, but I will keep you all posted.

Hugs!




5 comments:

Roo said...

Hi Beth Ann, I haven't been around on the blogs for quite sometime and only just returning to them for inspiration, motivation and support. I was banded back in 2009 and after having some major issues had it removed in 2012 and converted to the sleeve. Best thing I ever did! I don't have the issues that I had with the band. I had reflux with the band and I have had it a few times with the sleeve, however when I do get it I look back at the past few days and can tell why...... overindulging, over consumption of alcohol and very spicy food are my triggers.... It usually eases off when I go back to eating 'normally'. You can inundated with information from the web and people and you have to go with your gut instinct!

Val said...

So you're having the sleeve revision + herniorrhapy?

Lori said...

You are so right about conflicting information out there. It is enough to make my head explode.

Good for you for doing your own research and making the best decision for you. Sometimes tht can be very hard. I wish only the best for you.
Lori

Amy W. said...

Yes...I am with Val. I'm confused as to what you are going to do? perhaps I am just special but I reread a couple of times....help a girl out.

~Miss Lorie~ said...

I love my sleeve. I revised from band, as did my sister and dad.