Ladybug

Monday, January 31, 2011

What scares me.

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

It has been interesting to me to realize that I'm not scared of the food regimen. I know it will be no picnic and there will be times that I will be so frustrated I won't see straight, but I also know that is what I need.

What is making me nervous is more medical. I have narrowed it down to three main issues.

1. I'm concerned that I will always be thinking of this foreign thing inside me. I was at Jazzercise the other day doing crunches and I wondered if I would be able to do the same thing with the port in place. I know people have run marathons and such after being banded so I feel sure there isn't any exercise restriction once healed, but it is something I need to know. I have to be sure that I can be okay with living with this. I have a small fear that I will end up doing NOTHING because I will be so nervous about messing up my band.

2. Lap band seems relatively new and I'm concerned that we don't fully know the long term effects. What happens 20 years from now?

3. What if I mess up and have to go to the hospital? I think I'm quite responsible, but it seems that you can't always control everything. I'm concerned that something will get stuck and I will have to go to the hospital where they know very little. I'm concerned that I will do something stupid (like eat the wrong thing or too much) and it will kill me.

I have my initial meeting with doctor in a couple of weeks and will ask him about these things. But I was interested to see what you all have to say?

I know that without a doubt, doing nothing will lead me to bad health and sadness. I start feeling guilty because I "should" just diet already and lose the weight I need to lose. But I've tried numerous times with varied success and I know that in the long run I can't do it on my own.

Everyday I feel more and more confident that Lap Band is the right choice for me. I just have to get myself right with my concerns.

No comments: