Ladybug

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Olympic Workout Plan

As many of you know I'm obsessed with the Olympics.  I am a big Team USA supporter and every two years, I hunker down to enjoy watching some of the best athletes in the world.  I used to take time off during the games, but now with the ease of DVRs, I just record and watch.

There are a couple of issues though.  The first is trying to be unspoiled.  I literally stopped being friends with someone several years ago because he thought it was hilarious to continue to find ways to spoil me.  I told him over and over that it wasn't funny and he continued to do it and no joke, we stopped being friends.  These days, everyone around me knows about and supports my Olympic happiness.  I steer clear of most social media during the day and usually things work out fine.

The other issue is that there just isn't enough hours in the day to watch all of the coverage I want to watch.  Something has to give.  I decided that I know myself well enough to know that I'm going to be staying up late to watch coverage, so early morning CrossFit will be a no go.  Instead of just letting that happen, I'm making a plan.  Since it is super cold (for a pathetic Texan) outside this week, I'm using it as a test week to make sure I will do it.

Yesterday, I got in a great workout at lunch.  Today I'm going to do something similar:
  • 15:00 on the elliptical
    • 2 minute warm up
    • 4 minutes Tabata "sprints" (:20 on, :10 off, 8x)
    • 1 minute slow steady pace
    • 3 minutes of faster steady pace
    • 4 minutes Tabata "sprints"
    • 1 minute cool down pace
  • I'm going to take today's WOD from CrossFit and modify it just a little.  15:00 AMRAP (as many rounds as possible):
    • 10 dumbbell snatches
    • 20 sit ups
    • 30 lateral hops
I plan to Jazzercise tomorrow and Saturday and work out at lunch on Thursday.  It is a challenge for me to push myself hard enough when I work out on my own.  I definitely push harder at CrossFit.  This isn't a sustainable plan for me, but I think I want to devote time to the Olympics enough that I will push myself for a few weeks.  I mean, it isn't acceptable to just not work out hard.  My 40th birthday is four months from Friday and I want to look hot!!  :-)

Last night I made pate.  Or at least something like it.  It has chicken livers, onions, balsamic vinegar, bacon, hard boiled eggs and parsley.  I wasn't sure if I would like it, but I loved it!  I had it on cucumber slices. 

Also, I made Beef and Sweet Potato Stew over the weekend and it is absolutely delicious!  I used half sweet potatoes and half butternut squash and added some peas.  Also, I used half tomatoes and half salsa (because I ran out of tomatoes) and I think that ended up being a good move.  Lizard said that it was her favorite thing I have ever made.  It is definitely staying in the files.

Today's Food Plan:
Breakfast:  Coffee with cream.  (Full disclosure, I had two coffees this morning because one of my employees brought me Starbucks but it was a simple latte, no sweetener!)  Egg beaters with veggies and bacon.
Lunch:  Beef and sweet potato stew
Snack:  grapes and mixed nuts  (not to be confused with GrapeNuts)
Dinner:  3 Buffalo Chicken Meatballs (subbed almond meal for the breadcrumbs), one stuffed pepper that BFF made this weekend and half a cucumber with pate spread.

Ohhhh...I have to tell you about my lunch workout yesterday.  As I did my calisthenics, one of the guys on the treadmills came over to work out on the machines.  For a good five minutes he just sat there and watched me.  At first I thought I was just being silly, but Lizard was on the treadmill with a view of that area and she said he was absolutely just watching.  Now, I can't say for sure what that means, but I can tell you that if I finished a full circuit set with someone staring at me...I can keep doing this and not worry about who is watching!

Hugs!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Beth Ann, I *love!!!!* your idea of an Olympic workout for yourself. And you'll be so inspired to be athletic due to watching the athletes. I should try that. Actually, I probably need to tighten up my eating with an Olympic food plan too. Such great ideas! I love the Olympics too! Mostly the actual Olympics--I get tired of commentary at times. :D