Ladybug

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Well Piddle.

Recovery

Okay, well I have good news and bad news.  Let's start with the bad:
  • My staples are still in and my wraps are still on.  Sigh.  The doctor said that I move my arms a lot which is good for my breasts, but bad for the arm incisions.  He seemed to think I would be happier in the long run if I leave the staples in for another week.  As bummed as I was to hear that, if he thinks it will be better in the end, then I'm not going to argue with that.
  • Once the staples are out and the wraps are off (hopefully next week!), I will need to wear a compression T shirt for another 3 weeks.  This certainly is a long process and I can't be more glad that I decided to just do it instead of waiting until after my trip.  Have any of you worn compression T-shirts?  I'm not even really sure where to look.
  • Did I mention the staples are still in?  Yeah. 
Now for the good:
  • All the tape is off both my arms and breasts.
  • The doctor said that my arms are looking "just brilliant" which felt good.
  • I don't need to wear a bandeau at this time, but it is possible he is just waiting another week because I'm still wrapping the arms.
  • I am to start breast massage each day to get them to start dropping.
  • I can start the scar therapy on my breasts.
  • And the best news of all...I can exercise.  No arms though, so just walking or maybe a light jog.  I didn't bring my clothes today, but I will walk tomorrow with Godmother at lunch and then walk after work on Thursday.  I bet by Friday I will be feeling so much better!!
Paleo

Yesterday, my first day of Paleo went GREAT!  For breakfast, I had my egg cups which were just delicious.  For lunch we went to Pappasito's and I had gluten free corn chips with guac and about 1/3 of the lunch combo fajitas with no tortillas.  For an afternoon snack, I had some mixed fruit and some almonds.

When I got home from work, I had my first prepared meal from My Fit Foods.  It was chicken salad on a bed of lettuce.  This wasn't truly Paleo because of a little bit of sugar in the dried cranberries, but the oil used was better than normal (I can't remember but something about the treatment) and there were no artificial preservatives...all "homemade" and natural.  Anyway, I was skeptical.  I squeezed some lemon over it and sprinkled with sea salt and garlic pepper, then mixed it up.  It was AWESOME!  Seriously, so very good.  If everything else is close to this good, I will be going back to this place for sure!

The problem was that after dinner, I still had a lot of time on my hands and I got a little snacky, snacky.  I had some strawberries with 2T of cream, a boiled egg, a piece of cheese & some almonds.  At the time, it felt like I was eating a horse, but really it wasn't that bad.  And definitely devoid of refined sugar and white flour which is the main goal.

This morning I woke up 2.2 pounds down, so if nothing else, the bloat is coming off.  I have a little challenge going to lose 1.5 pounds per week until my trip.  That would get me below my pre-surgery weight.  Then I can just focus on enjoying my trip.

Sonicare

One of the guys I work with is hyper-focused on dental hygiene and convinced me to get a Sonicare.  I tried it for the first time last night and I have to say that it is going to take some getting used to.  It kinda gave me chills, but I'm sure that I will be okay with it in time.  Have you used one?  It certainly did make my teeth feel good!

Hugs!

9 comments:

Stacey said...

So happy you get to start exercising! Compression shirts are awesome, I love mine. I got them at Sports Authority and then ordered some on Ebay.

Just curious, what did he say about the hole in your armpit that is still draining?

A.J. said...

As a Dental Hygienist, I have to say I puffy heart love the Sonicare!!! But it DOES take some getting used to -- the "tickle" is weird for everyone. It should go away.

Which kind of Sonicare do you have the new Diamond clean or do you have the Flexcare??

vickyd said...

I love my Sonicare but it did take some getting used to...it really tickled me at first.

Amy W. said...

Once I started dating Heather, I started using her soniccare. Not her head, we have our own...bc that would just be GROSS...but my dental checkups have been perfect ever since. Sometimes I do wonder juuuuuust how good that vibrating would feel on my...

no...

not here...

I will be a lady....

for once....

Cat said...

HAHAHAHAHA! I'm cracking up at Amy's comment. Ha!

I'm also curious what the Doc said about the arm pit drainage. Is that normal?

I am certain your Doc is probably looking out for your best interest keeping the staples in another week. I'm sure you're super anxious to get them out though.

Yay for exercise! Paleo doesn't sound too bad. Hmmmm, perhaps I'll look again. It seemed like it was really high fat though when I read about it, I wasn't loving that part about the eating plan.

Theresa said...

Things are moving right along!

Dawnya said...

I'm glad that you are healing well. No worries...another week will just make things even better. I totally would have an issue with massaging my own boobs. Maybe you can find someone to do that for you. That would be fun.

Laura Belle said...

Ok, I FINALLY caught up on all your posts! Like the last 8 of them! Jeesh.

There's so much to say! I, again, am so proud of you for going through this transition in your life! For having the guts and outlook like you do! You are one amazing woman and I CAN.NOT.WAIT to meet you in real life one of these days!!

I'm so happy the surgery went well and you are recovering wonderfully!

As for the Paleo, I think you'll be great at it! That spaghetti sounded amazing! I've never had it with the squash, but everyone says it's to die for. I don't know that I could give up flour and rice and potatoes tho. But you'll do great!

Keep rocking it girly!!

Sarah said...

You're doing well & I'm SO glad for that, sweetie! Rest up & get ready for those Olympics!!!! :)

Sarah
www.thinfluenced.com