Ladybug

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Random Rant :)

I'm feeling much more than "fine" today.  Y'all's comments always lift me up so much.  Thank you, friends.

Commence random rant:

I am beyond tired of selfish people.  For the last couple of years, I have been working really hard (inside and out) to find a place of peace and happiness.  One thing that used to derail my day was selfish people.  I would be so annoyed with someone's actions that I would go off the rails.  That would cause me to lose MY WAY and I would be so wrapped up in my anger that I would miss out on the happiness around me.

I came to realize that while people can hurt you, you control your reaction.  For instance, a friend or loved one might do something to hurt you once and it is hard to get over.  But if they continue to do it again and again and you keep reacting in the same way...then I think some of the blame for your unhappiness comes from you.  I realized that if I reacted with peace and love, than more often than not, peace and love would return to me.  And if it didn't, I modified my relationship with that person.  I don't mean I cut people out entirely...just modified my expectations of the relationship.  What a freeing feeling to release your expectation of some people.  Don't get me wrong, I have AMAZING close friends and I still put my full faith in them!  I just don't set myself up for heartache with people who consistently disappoint.

That being said, I'm feel like I'm surrounded by selfishness at the moment.  In fact, I think if everyone I knew read this post, there would be MANY that would think this is about them.  The funny thing is that I feel this so widespread, it truly isn't about any one person in particular.  I just wish people would start considering other people's feelings more.  Everyone is so wrapped up in how THEY are affected or how THEY were wronged instead of looking how they are affecting OTHERS. 

I admit that I still have to consciously make myself stop and think about my actions.  And sometimes I want so bad to be whiny and selfish (and sometimes that wins.)  But I promise, in the end, being the better person feels SO much better. 

This was NOT about YOU.  Or you know what...if you think it was, then maybe take a moment and think about why that would be.  And DO BETTER!

::Deep Breath::  Sorry about that...

On a happy note, Go MAVS!!  I stayed up and stayed up last night even though I was tired, but when they were so far behind at the end I turned it off.  I can't BELIEVE I missed the comeback.  But YAY!!  I will miss the game tomorrow night because I'm going to see 9 to 5, the Musical.  Jealous?!  Yeah, you should be.  :) 

HUGS!!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so right. Selfishness is the devil. And I'm sure I get that way sometimes. But I AM going to do better!

Thanks again for all your inspiration.

-LauraBelle (blogger isn't letting me use my google account to sign, who the heck knows why.)

tagyourit said...

I was having this same talk with some friends the other day and even said that my generation of parents are selfish and that is why the generation after us is getting such crappy care.

Cat said...

This is such a great post - we are all responsible for our own actions and RE actions. If we all treated other people how we want to be treated there wouldn't ever be any thing to complain about. I do completely understand sometimes letting someone elses rotten attitude affect your mood. I do that too often.

Sarah said...

I am sending you BIG hugs!

My theory for life:
“The greatest part of our happiness depends on our dispositions, not our circumstances.” -Martha Washington

Sarah
Please join me at my *new* blog! Thinfluenced.blogspot.com

wannabe former fatgirl said...

Hey, just wanted to pop by and let you know that there is an award for you on my blog.

Tori said...

You are great and so right! I used to react the same way everytime a certain person let me down...I realized he can't be who I want him to be, he has to be himself and I no longer let those things bother me, now we have a much better relationship built on honesty and realistic expectations. :)

Leslie said...

My mom and I were talking about this in regards to my brother just this morning!! I need to change the way I react to his behavior and change my expectations of what our relationship should be and what it is in reality. It's so hard to do though!

Debi said...

My Papaw used to say all the time:
"It's not what happens TO you. It's what happens IN you."

Love you Beth!!!

Rhonda said...

Are you suuuure you're not talking about me? ;)