Ladybug

Saturday, May 7, 2011

Speaking of accountability...

I ran my 5K this morning.  Bad news first...I haven't been working on my cardio enough.  :)  Usually I'm limited because of the restraints of my body, i.e. my feet, knees, etc.  However, this time, it was quickly apparent that my lungs were going to be the problem this time.  I ran the first mile and just as I was getting to the first mile marker, we turned into the wind.  I had taken a couple of sips of water at the water stand around 3/4 of a mile in.  But with the wind coming at me and my lack of endurance, I started to dehydrate quickly.  I pushed myself another 1/2 mile and realized I wasn't going to make.

No worries though, I walked about a 1/2 mile (although I ran up a hill during that stretch which made me a bit proud) which got me to the next water station, just over 2 miles into the race.  I drank the water which gave me some pep.  The last mile and change, I would run 1/10 and walk 1/10.  If I would have had more water, I could have done more.  I'm going to look into a water bottle belt for next time.

Onto the good news...it would have been super easy to walk more.  I was by myself and no one would have ever known.  But I wanted to do my best, the best that I could do today.  I did that and I will never be disappointed in myself for doing my best.  As I approached the finish line, with 1/10 to go, I ran as fast as I could go.  I kinda felt like I was going to puke and I didn't think I would make it, but I did. 

The best news is that according to my watch, I beat my best time.  My last 5K, I believe I clocked 13:36 mile pace and (again, according to my watch and not the official chip time), this time I paced at 13:11!!  I would say that is progress.  :)  I look forward to seeing the official results.  However, the organizers don't seem all that organized, so I'm not quite sure when that will be. 


My next race is Memorial Day.  I'm running that with a friend and I'm going to let her pace it.  But I'm also running one on 6/04 by myself and my goal will be to run more and faster.  I will let you know how they go!

But the worst news is that I ate like crap today.  No excuses.  Crap.  That is why I'm writing this, honestly.  I wanted to take ownership of my crappy eating day and put it behind me.  Normally, I would just let that be my excuse to eat like crap and be lazy tomorrow.  But I don't want that to happen.  So, I plan to eat within my normal calorie ranges tomorrow.  In addition, I plan to at least take a walk.  It will probably be to hot for me to get myself to run, but I can get myself to walk to the tanning salon.  I know I won't make up all the calories I wasted today, but I won't let it get out of control. 

Hope you are all having a wonderful weekend!!

Hugs!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

that's awesome about the 5k !! congrats! I have been making poor food choices lately, but it's all about just getting back on track...we'll get there :)

♥ Drazil ♥ said...

YAY on the race - not so YAY on the crap but who am I to judge? Today I ate M&Ms and chips...and nothing else. Sigh.

Leslie said...

Congrats on the 5k. I am trying to be brave enough to sign up for a 5k around here. It scares me!!

Amanda said...

I'm just proud of you for even attempting a 5k. Go get em next time!

Cat said...

WOO!! I'm so happy for your 5K. Good for you. And you know, as long as you were doing your best for this, it doesn't matter that you walked some of it. I'm so proud.

As for the crap - we all do it, but the good point is you made yourself accountable and get back on track. It's not a mistake...it's LIFE and life includes crap sometimes.

Stephanie M. said...

Congrats on the 5K! The most important thing is that you know what hindered you and you can make it better next time. Good job!

Kiwigirl said...

Great work on the 5k... I can see you've lost more weight in the photo too... looking good

Lyla said...

I'm so impressed with you runners. i don't know if that will EVER be me-- it's hard! Good for you!

Kiwigirl said...

Great Work Beth Ann... the fact that you finished, kept running when it would have been easier to stop or walk the whole way, and did your best time shows just how far you have come. Really admire your grit and determination girl!