Ladybug

Friday, March 21, 2014

Manage the Damage

Confession.  I didn't go to Jazzercise last night.  I could blame it on my knee which did (and still does) bother me, but I could have done low impact stuff. The truth is that I was super cranky (think hormonal) and just wanted to go home and watch basketball.  So I did. 

The bad thing is that the MF scale rewarded that behavior this morning by posting  my lowest weight in a couple of weeks.  Whatever. 

Today's (no-meat) nutrition plan:
Breakfast: latte, veggie and cheese fritatta
Lunch:  sweet potato with laughing cow and single serve mac and cheese (I'm not proud of that, but it is better than what I would eat if I went out, so I'm picking the lesser evil.)
Snack:  mixed nuts
Dinner:  I could pretend otherwise, but I'm 99.9% sure I will be eating Fuzzy's chips & queso for dinner.

I decided that I have a choice.  I can ignore the fact that I'm obviously in some dark hormonal place and pretend that I will stop and get some fish for dinner.  Or I can acknowledge that I have no desire to eat well today and manage the damage.  Ignoring the fact that I am overloading on carbs, it could be a lot worse.  When I'm in this type of zone (call it PMS, hormonal, whatever), my typical MO is to not blog,  to not log food and just deny, deny, deny.  It is amazing the kind of damage you can do when you do that.

So, I'm making a choice.  I'm managing the damage.  My goal for today is to come up with a realistic plan for Saturday & Sunday.  I refuse to go off the rails.  I refuse to not honor my Lenten commitment.  BUT, I also know that if I pretend everything is "normal", I will be the loser in the end.  Wow.  I sound like a basket case.  I swear I'm not.  Or at least, I don't think I am.  But I find comfort in food like an alcoholic does with a bottle.  So...manage the damage.

Today's fitness plan:
Hmmm...  I don't wanna.  Y'all, this is not normal for me.  I do cray cray stuff with food, but I'm pretty consistent with working out.  But I don't wanna.  I'm trying to get myself to commit to riding the bike while reading today.  My hope is that if I can get myself down there, maybe I will actually work out.  And if I don't...at least I get some movement and some reading in.  Manage the damage.

I know that Monday, everything will be back to normal.  Sometimes being a woman is just a bitch.

Hugs!

8 comments:

Laura Belle said...

I'm reading this really great book about using food/alcohol/whatever to make us feel better. Even if it's hormonal. Or Stress. Or freaking Tuesday.

It says to dig deep and try to figure out what's making you vulnerable to put you in that state.

It says to get Deliberate: Deliberately do what you know is best. Make it possible.

Then get Inspired: Talk to a friend about it, write about it, sleep on it. Whatever. Whatever inspires you to do the right thing.

Finally, Get Going: Do what you need to do.

Now, even though I said all that. I'm pretty sure if you get as cray cray as me during hormonal stages, just do what you want and forget about it. You'll start fresh tomorrow. One day isn't going to kill you. Like you told me, it's not messing up that's the failure, it's quitting all together that is.

Chin up buttercup! Hugs!

Sheila said...

Yes, getting myself to GO and workout is 80% of the battle, once I'm there I love it. That is why I pay my small-group PT so much, to force my butt in there. I think "managing the damage" is a good short-term plan.

P.S. I like that phrase!

~Miss Lorie~ said...

I love this post! I think you have te perfect plan! Way to acknowledge where you are and what you need.

Vanessa said...

"But I find comfort in food like an alcoholic does with a bottle." Yup! I can relate!

♥ Drazil ♥ said...

This didn't sound crazy to me at all...which either makes you sane or me crazy too! lol

♥ Drazil ♥ said...

This didn't sound crazy to me at all...which either makes you sane or me crazy too! lol

Rhonda said...

Sometimes a body just needs a break!

Is the 3 month cycle coming up? Could explain the "I don't wanna's" - I've been right there, too. And I HAD been getting some walking/running in lately. Wah.

Mel said...

Nothing crazy about it! (says the hormonal woman who overdid the carbs on Saturday and paid for it all day Sunday! lol) :)