Ladybug

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Apparently Chocolate Rules My Life

Today is Ash Wednesday and the start of Lent.  As you all know, I have chosen to give up chocolate for Lent.  Totally tough for me!  Well, I didn't start realizing how tough until last night.  Last night I remembered that (in addition to every dessert I love) BOTH my pudding snacks and granola bar snacks have chocolate in them!  Also, I often have chocolate creamer in my morning coffee.  That's when I realized that this doesn't just impact my after dinner sweet tooth.

That's okay, right?  I can have non-chocolate snacks.  I will just have to go to the grocery store tonight.  Today, might be a little tough, but I can eat my breakfast and...  Oh crap.  Yep, I just remembered that too.  My breakfast shakes are chocolate.  Of course they are.  Sigh.

Okay, I can do this.  I just ordered me some vanilla shakes.  I have some PB2 to add to them if I don't like them.  But for the 30 work days of Lent.  I can drink something different.  :)  Tomorrow & Friday I can stop by Smoothie King on the way to work and get something or maybe I will eat some yogurt instead.  But the point is, that I can figure this out.  Chocolate WILL NOT BEAT ME!

Today, breakfast will be an almond granola bar and coffee.  I'm planning to get a little bit of egg salad from the deli downstairs for lunch and I will eat that with some cheese and crackers.  After Jazzercise tonight, I will stop at the grocery store and stock up on some non-chocolate snacks.  What are your favorites?  I need some good ideas.

You know, I'm really glad I did this.  I didn't realize how much chocolate was ingrained in my day to day life.  I think it is a good idea to weed it all out and start fresh.  :)

3 days and counting for the haircut.  Still not sure, but I think I'm getting closer to my decision on what to do.

Shout out to Kerri and Nikki.  No real big reason...just because they are awesome!

Hugs!

12 comments:

Leslie said...

You are going to do just fine without chocolate, I bet after a few days you won't even notice it's missing.

Jen from Oregon said...

Good luck! I am sure you will make it. I decided to cut my afternoon/evening coffee habit for lent. (I knew my limits and a 100% cut would have resulted in murder charges) It doesn't sound like much but it is pretty huge for me.
I've been making two different protein shakes with a vanilla base (atkins) adding a 1/2 scoop of protein powder and then using sugar free orange or lemon torani syrup. It is refreshing and smells like spring :)

Kerri said...

Shout back at ya!!! <3 I am not Catholic BUT I am going to give up SUGAR for lent. I'm going to stay away from anything sweet. That is gonna be hard as hell but we can do this, right? No chocolate for you and no sugar for me. Haha!!!

Rhonda said...

Stupid chocolate. I hates it! ...and at the same time, I probably couldn't cut it all the way out, either. It's on my fav protein drink, I love yoohoos, chocolate milk, etc. Horrible!

It's strange how these things we want to give up try to wriggle their way into our lives so fiercely!

Theresa said...

Good for you! I love peanut butter granola bars and Kashi pumpkin spice ones. And, for pudding I love the jello lemon whipped one and the vanilla cups (I eat it with 1/2 bannana and 1 graham cracker, it's good! You can do this!

Bonnie said...

I love chobani greek yogurt - rasberry and pomegranate are my favorite.

Debi said...

I like Nilla Wafers, and just discovered Breyer's YoCrunch yogurt. They have 100 calorie containers and include little crunchy things to mix in. My favorite is Cheesecake with Graham Cracker bits.

What have you decided to do with your hair?!

Unknown said...

That's awesome giving up chocolate for Lent! You can do it!!! :)

Amanda said...

Good girl for being so positive! The only shakes I like are the chocolate ones! But I can do a smoothie every so often! Loving greek yogurt too...the pineapple one is great!

Rhonda said...

OH, and Trisha and I are planning another lunch next Sunday if you want to come! I'd love you to join. :)

Tori said...

Beth! I tried to switch to dark chocolate...my husband gave me some 90% cocoa chocolate last night and I could barely gag it down...which made me think it wasn't chocolate that I loved so much, it's all that sugar...and since I am trying to get that sugar monkey off my back it's easier to resist the other previously favorite milk chocolate. sigh...it's hard but we can do it!

tagyourit said...

Good luck! I don't even want to think of how much of my stuff is chocolate flavored!