Ladybug

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

I feel like I could do ANYTHING today!...well, if I wasn't so sore.

Yesterday was my first official CrossFit Fundamentals class.  I wasn't sure how long it would take to get there from work, so I was uber early.  As I sat in the parking lot, I started to psych myself out a little bit.  But thank goodness I had announced to Blogger and everyone that I was going so there was no backing out!

I got into the facility about 15 minutes early and stood around while the previous class finished up.  I ran into a couple of girls that recognized me from the Saturday class I had attended and they were nice.  The trainer I had emailed with introduced herself and she seems cool.  I have dubbed her "Bach" because she is a BadAss CHick!  :)

Before I knew it, it was time to start.  There are 4 guys and 3 girls that will be going through the one month Fundamentals class with me.  I spoke to one of the girls and she is in the army.  Seriously?  I have absolutely no doubt that the two girls together weighed less than I did last year.  Plus, the army?  This is not her first rodeo.

Four of the five guys are thin and it was apparent that at least 3 of them are really in shape.  It was hard to tell on the other just from looking at him.  In my opinion, the fifth guy was overweight like I am overweight.  I mean, I don't think anyone would look at me and say, wow, she's fat.  But I also have at least 30-40 more pounds to lose.  That is what I thought of this guy.

So, we "warmed up" with a 400m run.  I think I have mentioned many times before, I have one pace...turtle speed.  I run this pace whether I'm "sprinting" or running "long distance".  I use quotes, because it is all relative for me.  Anyway, I was pushing myself as hard as I possibly could just to keep up with everyone's "slow jog/warm up" pace.  If it would have been any longer than 400m, I would not have been able to do.  But that was my first moment of pride.  We did some light stretching and it was time to start.

They first showed us the correct form for an air squat.  Basically you squat with your butt below your knees, feet spread, and back straight.  I was told that I have excellent squat form...thanks Jazzercise!!  Then we learned the correct form for push-ups (yuck!), squat thrusts, burpees (heinous!), and ring rows.  After we had done many reps of each, it was time for the work out of the day.

At this time we took a bit of a break to wait for the guy I mentioned previously as being the "bigger" guy.  He was in the bathroom puking.  Is it wrong that I had my second moment of pride for the day?  I mean, I was the person in the class with the most body fat and I was at least keeping in the game.  YAY!!  Although I did feel bad for the guy.  We ended up starting without him.

For the beginner class, our workout was:
  • 200m run
  • 15 squats, 15 pushups, 15 ring rows
  • 12 squats, 12 pushups, 12 ring rows
  • 9 squats, 9 pushups, 9 ring rows
  • 200m run
We started at the same time and about 100m in, I was already about 100m behind everyone.  :)  A little later, Puker started, but he did not finish.  It will be interesting to see how he does tomorrow.  Anyway, after the first set of exercises, I knew it was going to be tough.  I did the pushups on my knees (I have bruises on them today!) but I finished everything!  They said that we could shorten the reps to 12-9-5, but I didn't want to.  I wanted to finish. 

During the exercises, Bach came over and AGAIN told me that I had great squat form.  Third moment of pride for the workout!  I do have strong legs and there is a lot of squatting in Jazzercise! 

Army was the last of everyone to finish ahead of me and she finished in 7:48 (or right around there) and I finished at 9:13.  So I was almost a minute and a half behind everyone that finished...but I finished!!  There was a girl there observing for her degree that went through the last set of fundamental classes and she said that she didn't finish the first time. So, my fourth moment of pride when I was able to write my time on the board.  We do this same workout on the last day of the Fundamental classes to see our progress.  That will be interesting!  So, mark your calendars for 7/30 because I know you will be dying to know!!  :)

Today I will walk with Godmother at lunch and then go to Jazzercise after work.  I'm sore, but I can tell I should be more sore tomorrow.  I hope that these cardio workouts will keep my muscles loose and help me not be so sore tomorrow.  Because I have to go back to CrossFit tomorrow and I want to have more moments of pride!!

I will leave you with some pictures.  Lizard took my "before CrossFit" pictures yesterday and I'm posting them here.  I have also added pictures from November 2010 (when I last took this type of picture) and January 2010 (beginning of the journey). 


July 2011

November 2010

January 2010 (Who is that person??)
July 2011
November 2010
January 2010

16 comments:

Lap Band Gal said...

Thanks for letting us know about crossfit...I'm still tempted to try it. :)

Rhonda said...

You're awesome, Beth! What a transformation.

By the time the class is over, you'll probably be on the same fitness level as Army gal. :)

Dawnya said...

You look so slim. I love the pictures. Thanks for the crossfit info. I'm toying with the idea of giving it a shot.

However, I like being able to walk and lift my arms. LOL

Leslie said...

Oh my goodness, LOOK AT YOU!! You look simply amazing.

Congrats on the class, that is super amazing. I am so proud of you.

kagead said...

I'm exhausted AND sore just reading this. I need a nap. Seriously. You are a rock star and you look fantastic!!!! My inspiration!

Theresa said...

Yeah, amazing and I'm not going any place near a cross fit center! You look so tiny!!!!!!!

Fluffy said...

Awesome first day and what a difference! Are you guys inside? Even at 530am the heat is getting to me. I was going to do the Too Hot To Handle 15K this weekend, but I decided that it's Too Hot To Do It. : )

Stacey said...

Wow! Check out those curves you have goin on there! Way to go!

You are seriously my new hero. :)

Justawallflower said...

Good for you! and look at how tiny you are!

Cat said...

OMG Beth...I seriously got tears in my eyes looking at your before to current pics. You have gone through such an amazing transformation I'm so very proud of you. Also YAY for keeping up and not puking!! That poor man, seriously if he keeps it up imagine the stories he'll be able to tell, "When I started cross fit, I was so out of shape that I actually puked!" Hee hee, you GO girl keep rockin that Cross FIT!

Andrea said...

That's so great that you were able to push yourself and get out of your comfort zone and were able to finish! I love your pics and seeing how far you've come! Very inspirational!

The Cozy (not crazy) Coconut said...

Are you kidding??!! YOU are the ROCK STAR!!!!! I am so impressed with what you're doing! HOLY FRIJOLES - your workout seems hard too! And you look absolutely fantastic, you really do! Your waist is so smoothed out - that's what I really need to whittle down! YOU GO GIRL - I say YOU're the BACH!! Love that!

~Lisa~ said...

What an amazing transformation - you are without a doubt my HERO!! What an inspiration to all of us - thank you!!

PS... I do love how blogger keeps us ALL accountable!!

Nora said...

Wow, you FINISHED everything! That is great:) Congrats.

Amy W. said...

I am impressed. I am pretty sure if I did crossfit, I would probably get in trouble for playing on the rings too much. It so funny, but in circuit, it is usually the guys who fall out and end up puking...and then they never come back. I think it is because they dont know how to pace themselves...we women are good pacers.

I also love that you took pictures for this challenge. Now, here is what I want you to do. You dont have to post them on here...ever...if you dont want to...but you should take pictures in your sports bra and undies, front and back. AND, with your arms out to the side. Did you take your measurements?

it will be awesome to see the change over time!

good job!

Debi said...

You look amaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazing :) I'm so proud of you!